18. March 2019 – 12:51
In my life here in the Indian part of the Himalayas, singing bowls are ubiquitous. Not only does a large part of the Tibetan refugee community live in the Indian mountain states of Himachal Pradesh and Ladakh, but a large part of the population is themselves Buddhist and singing bowls are part of everyday life. So it was almost natural for me to hold a Tibetan singing bowl in my hands again and again, to beat it or to circle with enthusiasm with the rod around the edge of the bowl and create beautiful meditative sounds and vibrations.
It was only at my yoga teacher training in Rishikesh in 2017 that I learned about the sound and feel of a so-called “singing bowl bath” in a whole new way and from there these sounding marvels were always somewhere in the back of my mind.
In February, it happened that I became aware of a nine-day Nada Yoga course (Nada = Sound) and Singing Bowls Course in Goa. The singing bowls had found me.
I didn’t really know much about the singing bowls and certainly nothing about singing bowl therapy.
That sound and its vibrations have an influence on our body and mind, which are largely made up of water, was clear to me as a passionate Kirtan and Mantra singer and harmonium playing.
The singing and sounding of sounds gets me easily into a meditative state, I experience lightness, joy and can relax my body and mind completely.
The fact that the vibrations of the singing bowls must also have an influence on our body and mind is immediately apparent to me. In fact, the mode of action of the singing bowls is not only proven in my perception, but above all scientifically.
Thus, the healing effect during the singing bowltherapy acts through a unique combination of vibration both on the brain, through the perception of sound, as well as on the body cells, through the fine but palpable vibrations of the singing bowl itself.
The fine sound of the singing bowls dissolves physical and energetic blockages caused by stress, illness and emotional imbalances and can thus restore the harmony of body, mind and soul.
There are probably over 50 different singing bowls. For us, the hand-crafted Seven Chakra singing bowls, as well as the larger and deeper sounding earthing singing bowl are of importance.
The former resound from the first to the seventh chakra in the seven main tones c,d,e,f,g,a and h.
The singing bowls with a larger radius stimulate the lower chakras, the middle singing bowls influence the third and heart chakra and the small singing bowls with the high notes bring the higher chakras into balance.
Singing bowls can be quite expensive. If you are interested in singing bowls, however, you do not need a complete set consisting of 8 singing bowls, even 4 singing bowls (one earthing, a large, a medium and a small one) or even a “favourite singing bowl” are sufficient to relax, detoxify and reconcile body, mind and soul.
You can either make the singing bowls sound and vibrate by hitting them with a felt-covered stick, or you can create a longer meditative tone if you drive over the edge of the singing bowl with a matching stick. This is called a half-moon or full moon, depending on the circumnavigation. In addition, there are so-called “soft sticks”.
The singing bowls originate from the Tibetan Himalayan region and were used 2500 years ago by Tibetan monks for ceremonies, but also to heal mental or physical suffering.
Legend has it, that a singing bowl consists of the 7 metals of the planets: gold, silver, iron, copper, mercury, tin and lead.
In fact, a singing bowl is a bronze alloy of copper and tin, probably in the ratio 80 to 20.
The artistically decorated hand-made singing bowls have a lot of meditative work involved during the production of the bowl itself.
Therapy and application of the singing bowl are very different.
In this way, energy fields in rooms or the aura of people can be purified with the singing bowl.
During singing bowl baths and concerts, the singing bowl therapist plays different singing bowls separately or together without touching the recipient’s body.
Singing bowl baths and concerts for a group can last from 10 minutes to 45 minutes.
In addition to the aura cleansing and sound baths, a private session mainly uses body contact with the singing bowls themselves.
In different body positions, the singing bowls are placed on the body parts of the recipient, thus vibrating the various body fluids, muscle and tissue groups, the bones and chakras, in order to detoxify and cleanse the entire system.
Here you will find again the most important positive properties of the singing bowltherapy:
- The Tibetan singing bowl can bring you into a deep state of relaxation and serenity.
- The sound of the bowls help the body to release endorphins to counteract addictions, pain, fatigue and hyperactivity.
- The deep resonance of the bowls are able to improve blood circulation and reduce blood pressure.
- Tibetan singing bowls create sounds that are reassuring to our system. Thus, singing bowls can improve sleep quality and cure insomnia.
- The singing bowls help to strengthen our immune system.
- By influencing the different chakras, the singing bowls improve our creativity, imagination and intuition.
- The sound and vibrations of the shells have a de-stree effect on our body.
- The Tibetan singing bowl helps us to achieve a natural state of joy and bliss.
- The Tibetan singing bowl produces a frequency that reaches our deepest layers of our physical body and subconscious. It can help to address and heal the root causes of our problems.
- The singing bowls improve our decision-making ability, our stored knowledge, our logic and reasoning.
- Singing bowls are an essential means for room and aura cleansing.
- Singing bowls help to balance our chakras.
- The singing bowls are ideal for meditation, as you can use the sounds and vibrations as a focus and concentration point.
- The sounds create space for self-insight and self-perception
- The change in the hormonal system through sound, can bring individuals out of anxiety and depression.
- The bowls bring body, mind and soul into harmony.
- Singing bowls release blockages in the body tissue.
- Singing bowls synchronize the work of the right and left hemispheres of the brain.
- Singing bowls are used for detoxification.