20. December 2014 – 12:58
It is a traditionl, that whenever I come from India to Germany, I cook Indian with friends and family!
When we cook in India, we prepare our meals relatively simple and always in the common pattern. Here you can find an recipe for the Indian Gravy Base. You can simply make the base and then add any vegeatble, meat or lentil item.
On our last cooking evening in Germany, we wanted to challenge us a little bit more and also try out something new. Ao we had a look in Camellia Panjabis’s cookbook “Indian Currys”. This was especially fun for me: I learned a new dish and at the same time had my beloved Indian food outside of India.
Here I present the Goan vegetable dish Kath Katha. It is mainly prepared by Hindus in Goa. We have slightly modified the recipe to adapt it to the ingredients in our pantry!
– 2 onions
– 4 tbsp oil
– 80 g freshly grated coconut (or dried)
– 6 dried red chilli peppers
– 2 tbsp coriander seeds
– 4 gloves
– 10 peppercorns
– 5 cm cinnamon stick
– 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
– 1/3 tsp cumin seeds
– 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
– 1 bay leaf
– Salt to taste
– 450 g vegetables cut into cubes (carrots, beans, cauliflower, broccoli, potatoes, peas, etc.
– 1 tsp lemon juice
1. Finely chop one of the onions, cut the other into slices.
2. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan and fry the grated coconut for 5 minutes while stirring, then set aside in a bowl.
3. Now add the chilli pods and coriander seeds and add the cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon stick after 3 minutes. Roast everything under constant stirring for 3 minutes, now mix with the greated coconut.
4. Blend everything with the sliced onion and 125 ml of water to a paste
5. Now heat the remaining oil in a wok or pot and toast the mustard seeds and the cumin in it, then add the turmeric. Add the bay leaf and chopped onion for a minute. Fry everything for 2 minutes. Stir in the spice paste and cook everything for another 10 minutes. Add 750 ml of water and salt.
6. Now add the vegetables gradually, one by one, according to the cooking time.
7. Cook the vegetables without a lid and on a low temperature. Sprinkle some lemon juice on top before serving.
Enjoy your meal!